Terminus 6 Features
Terminus continues its long-standing tradition of expanding to suit the changing needs of IT security professionals, while retaining a design that makes it easy for anyone to use.
Terminus 6 is crawling with features, and they're not just "bells and whistles" - the feature set in Terminus is the result of what our customers have told us they wanted in a data destruction toolkit.
- ONLY in Terminus 6 - Runs on any fully 32-bit Windows release AND runs as a 32-bit application in any 64-bit Windows release (including the new Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008), all from a single set of executable software. No need to retest versions specific to any one Windows variant!
- ONLY in Terminus 6 - Thousand-pass overwrite support. No other data destruction product can touch Terminus 6 on pass count - Terminus 6 can literally overwrite a targeted file, a file's slack space, or a drive's free space A THOUSAND TIMES. An insanely thorough 1,024-pass overwrite methodology is even included.
- ONLY in Terminus 6 - PinpointDestroy. Data destruction with a surgeon's touch! PinpointDestroy can find and destroy specific chunks of data anywhere on a chosen drive, even if the data is not in an actual file or disk structure. Destroy individual words in document files, for one example, with ease. PinpointDestroy can zap data right out of MFT records, boot sectors, directory tables, file slack space, anywhere. PinpointDestroy can also wipe any one specific cluster or sector by number, leaving everything else on the drive completely untouched.
- ONLY in Terminus 6 - Digital Thermite. Set up a series of directory masks and perform emergency fast-wipes on matching files with sime quick keystrokes. Digital Thermite provides a means to VERY quickly (meaning ~30 megabytes a second on an ATA-133 drive) destroy data in the event of a physical security breach. Once Digital Thermite is configured, all it takes is pressing four keys at once and then tapping 'Y' to trigger the fast-wipe.
- New for Terminus 6 - Direct NTFS Alternate Data Stream (ADS) Support. Terminus 6 is capable of detecting and destroying named alternate data streams attached to files stored on NTFS partitions. Terminus 6 can destroy one or all ADSs attached to a file along with the file itself, and can also destroy ADSs without affecting the file to which the ADS is attached. Finding ADSs is simple - just pick a file and Terminus automatically finds its ADSs (if any).
- NEW for Terminus 6 - TOTAL codebase reconstruction. Every part of Terminus has been rewritten from scratch for this release, and the results are amazing - nearly twice the overwrite speed and half the distribution size, and that INCLUDES the full 450+ page documentation system! Additionally, Terminus 6 needs no additional runtimes, support files, or DLLs aside from the three DLLs that handle context menus. No more "DLL hell!"
- NEW for Terminus 6 - New SDDS engine. The newest version of EFW's proprietary Sensitive Data Destruction Engine makes its debut in Terminus 6. This new version of SDDS is smaller, tighter, and faster than its predecessors. Even time-intensive processes such as free-space wipes are faster than they were in previous versions of SDDS. The network operation code in T6-SDDS is also improved for more reliable remote operations. T6-SDDS can overwrite data as fast as the drive's continuous throughput speed, and can even invoke a drive's burst mode.
- NEW for Terminus 6 - 64-bit size and space limits. The rewritten Terminus code has the theoretical capability to handle thousands of terabytes of disk space for free-space wipes, quadrillions of files for slack-space wipes, and multi-terabyte single files for file destruction operations. RAID arrays, etc. won't pose a problem. (Of course, wiping terabytes of space can take a considerable amount of time.) Wiping "smaller" files like gigabtye-plus mailstores and paging files is child's play, as Terminus 6 simply doesn't care how big the file is. In other words, Terminus WILL destroy individual files over 2GB in size - we've tested it with 10GB+ files on NTFS partitions!.
- NEW for Terminus 6 - PrivacyProtect. This small but powerful tool can remove traces if your computer usage left behind by various applications and Windows itself. PrivacyProtect can clean data out of the system Registry and INI files, and can search for files to destroy based on filename mask matching with standard DOS filename wildcards. Best of all, it too is fast!
- NEW for Terminus 6 - Powerful, cryptographically strong pseudorandom number generation. Terminus 6 includes two PRNG algorithms - ISAAC and Mersenne-Twister - for cryptographically strong pseudorandom garbage generation that can even pass crypto-industry tests like DIEHARD.
- NEW for Terminus 6 - Terminus Services Manager. This Terminus component runs as a background support program for Terminus' special functions and features. It can upload usage logs to a FTP server for easy log archival, it can destroy swap and paging files, and it can destroy the contents of the Recycle Bin - all AUTOMATICALLY. These are also user-specific, so Terminus can be used on multi-user machines without destroying another user's data.
- NEW for Terminus 6 - Support for fast user switching (in Windows XP and later), large fonts, themes, and multiuser-centric operations on Windows versions that support true multiuser operation. If the machine is used by several people, one Terminus installation can support them all without stepping on each others' files. (This assumes Windows NT/2000/XP or later as the OS and NTFS as the filesystem.
- NEW for Terminus 6 - Twenty overwrite methodologies are included, and new methodologies can be created easily. In fact, there's even a downloadable tool for creating and editing methodologies.
- Support for any writeable storage device that Windows recognizes. IDE/ATA hard drives, SCSI hard drives, external hard drives via USB/FireWire, if Windows can see it Terminus can work with it.